Thursday, August 18, 2011

Genesis

I was a Women's Studies minor in college. The only reason I was Women's Studies minor is because my university didn't offer a Women's Studies major. I spent my post- college years working with abused women and children, taking up their causes and fighting their battles.

I had, virtually from birth, an outgoing, outspoken, talkative personality. I was always the first person to befriend the new kid in class, and if I ever got in trouble in school the transgression was usually connected to my unending need to socialize.

Why then, I asked myself today - I ask myself every day - am I living the way I am? Why do I spend my evenings analyzing his tone of voice, avoiding eye contact, tiptoeing across particularly delicate eggshells? I bite my tongue until I taste blood and try to arrange my days in a manner most likely to avoid confrontation. I fail, a lot.

How did I get here? Who am I? Where is the connection between my past and my present? What the hell is my future? These are my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment